Thursday, April 7, 11am
Join us for dinner and a show: The Magic of Radio. A delicious 5-course gourmet organic dinner served by charismatic & appreciative Radio Valencia DJ’s, each course accompanied by a unique performance from the RV staff of great moments in radio history either dramatized or documented. 5 courses, 5 acts, an invaluable feeling of euphoria, and the lifelong certainty that you made a big difference in the life of a young radio station. All that for the extra-cheap price of 40 American dollars!
We’ll also have great raffle prizes, Radio Valencia stickers, and I’m sure more than a couple surprises–just like our radio shows. Not only will you see our clever performances and interpretations of some of the most important moments in the history of radio, you will also help the future of great radio, because all the proceeds will go to helping Radio Valencia buy a brand new mixing board so we can produce our shows more professionally and generally sound more awesome.
Here’s all the info on the delicious food:
Menu by Chef David Barsalay:
Rustic Chicken Soup w/ toasted sourdough By Brooke the Soup Lady
Green Salad w/ Meyer lemon Vinaigrette & Mango w/cashew (essential organic)
Seared Polenta with Parmigiana Cheese w/Greens & Cracklin’ Braised Short Ribs over Smashed Potatoes (meat donated by the Fatted Calf!)
Dessert donated by Black Jet Bakery (thank you Gillian!!)
(Veggie/Vegan options available for all courses. Gluten-free options available for every course. It helps if you let us know that you need a veggie/vegan/gluten-free meal, so we can have the right portions ready)
Wine from White Rock Vineyard ($10 a bottle!!)
We also have some things that were donated to us that we will auction off, so bring money! Fine coffee, an oil change, a day spa certificate, mixed CD’s, etc.
Here are details on all the acts:
The show consists of re-enactments and hosted re-broadcasts of great moments in the history of radio. Here are some of the details:
- DJ Timmy is going to talk about and play one of the great Fireside Story episodes that FDR did during WWII. If you have never heard this, you will be delighted. It’s nothing short of the most wholesome thing that ever happened.
- DJ mikl-em (of the CanHazDJ show) takes you back to the golden era of radio comedy with a live performance of the Marx Brothers original radio show “Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel”. This fast-paced comedy features Groucho and
Chico (Harpo may be there, too, but he doesn’t have any lines) in an episode first broadcast in 1933. A stellar cast featuring members of the Chicken Scratch Improv will bring a nearly 80 year-old comedy back to hilarious life before your very eyes.
- Sean Kelly (aka Freakatronic) will debut a new act honoring the History of Radio.
HEAR: ‘O Holy Night’ an antique rendition of broadcasts’s first song on radio.
SEE: Sean Kelly do a burlesque style Balloon Dance with a stun gun.
JUMP: to the pop of the balloons.
TASTE: The delicious food being served to raise funds for a new mixing board.
WONDER: Where he got a stun gun.
- Trademark G and Miss Frillypants (aka Evolution Control Committee) will unearth from their vault of unmentionable recordings a mash up of radio spots, commercials, presidential speeches, public service announcements and porn. It’s hard to describe what they do, but it’s always amazing.
- DENNIS THE MENACE: WHEN TOP 40 RADIO RULED THE EARTH!
DTM attributes his 35 year radio career to the some of the most talented and creative DJ’s on earth who he had the rare opportunity to learn from! At the age of 13, he snuck past the guards on 6th Avenue in New York City to watch his D.J. Idols broadcast on 77 WABC. Soon after, he auditioned and was given Top 25 countdown show on a suburban radio station. Since then he’s broadcast on the legendary Top 40 KISS-108 Boston and other stations before bringing his syndicated shows to Radio Valencia! Tonight, he regales us with tales, pictures, and rare airchecks that only scratch the surface of his passion for this long gone radio format.
- From the Nose Hair Lint Gland gang: a satirical re-enactment of the famous 1937 radio broadcast of the Hindenberg disaster. Delivered in the voice of 1937 radio reporter Herbert Morrison. Everything will go perfectly with this because it always always does.
- And finally, DJ Extra Kate [of the Place Tales show] is doing to do a
short symposium on the War of the Worlds broadcast from 1938, in which America thought it was an actual invasion and there was panic in the streets, looting and mass hysteria! She will then play some of it for your amusement!
You can also RSVP and share the event on Facebook we hope you can make it and also that you will tell your friends and encourage them to come, too!