Sunday, October 2
What I play on Mindtrain is what I like – the music I’ve discovered and grown to love over the last forty-odd years of avid listening and collecting. There are no restrictions or discriminations as to style or genre or era, and the program is as much about breaking down musical barriers as it is about creating unexpected links and connections (call it ‘the art of the segue’). Some of it is old and some is new. Some of it is obscure and out-of-print, but much of it is available to those who take the time to hunt it down (that’s what the internet is for). I strenuously encourage listeners who discover new and previously unheard music on this program to Google artist names and visit www.discogs.com to learn more, and to support the music by purchasing digital or physical releases when available.
This initial test broadcast of Mindtrain was done from the remote studio of Doktor Sleepless (host of the Interstellar Nihilism program here at Radio Valencia). Song selections were made pretty much ‘on the fly’ as I was learning how to present my first radio show (ever). Clumsy segues between songs, dead air and flubbed track announcements were unintentional and more or less unavoidable. There is some fine music here, nonetheless (and the music is what this show is all about).
The playlist gives artist name, song title, and album title (in that order). A space between lines of text indicates the break between sets where track announcements were made.
Playlist for Mindtrain 00 – 26 July 2011
- Cockney Rebel – Cavaliers – The Psychomodo
- Grace Slick – Theme From The Movie “Manhole” – Manhole
- Department S – Is Vic There? – Sub-Stance
- Edmund Welles – When I Woke Up, Everyone Was Gone – Imagination Lost
- Peter Ivers – Audience Of One (Alternate Version) – The Untold Stories
- Gavin Friday & The Man Seezer – Dazzle And Delight – Each Man Kills The Things He Loves
- Marc Almond & Michael Cashmore – The Sleeper In The Valley – Feasting With Panthers
- Ordo Equitum Solis – Reis Glorios – Animi Aegritudo
- Monica Richards – A Good Thing – Infra-Warrior
- Bowery Electric – Deep Sky Objects – Bowery Electric
- Ultravox! – Hiroshima Mon Amour – Ha!-Ha!-Ha!
- Paul Haines / Carla Bley & The Jazz Composers Orchestra – Rawalpindi Blues – Escalator Over The Hill
- Cyclobe – Augural Sun – Wounded Galaxies Tap At The Window
- Oxbow – Pannonica – Fuckfest / King Of The Jews
- John White – Son Of Gothic Chord – Machine Music
- Judy Nylon – Sleepless Nights – Pal Judy
- Nature And Organisation – In Heaven – Third Terminal Position
- Department S – Going Left Right – Sub-Stance
- Leo Kottke – Louise – Greenhouse