the show starts with carry-over from Skeevy Side Show….Anarchy UK by the Sex Pistols. Even though Punk is about polar opposite of Progressive Rock, I love both genres….so it remains.
After carefully studying the symptoms, it seemed to me that a heavy dose of Prog Rock was needed.
Set List: Selections from classic and contemporary prog rock artists over the last 50 years.
1. Knife Edge by Emerson Lake and Palmer from self titled debut. (1970) 5:06
2. MIC BREAK: Star by Peter Gabriel from Peter Gabriel 3: Face Melt (1980) 1:21
3. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight by Genesis from Selling England by the Pound (1973) 8:04
4. Warrior by Wishbone Ash from Argus (1972) 5:52
5. Luminol by Steven Wilson from the Raven that Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) (2012) 12:10
6. Dark Side of the Moog by Colosseum II from Strange Flesh (1976) 6:23
7. MIC BREAK: Cancer/Moonspeak by Rivers of Nihil from Where Owls Know My Name (2018) 1:45
8. Throwing Mountains by Kansas from the Absence of Presence (2020) 6:21
9. Fallen Angel by King Crimson from Red (1974) 6:03
10. Alucard by Gentle Giant from self titled debut album (1970) 6:02
11. Green Waves by Beardfish from Mammoth (2010) 8:54
12. Skeletons at the Feast by Spock’s Beard from self titled album (2006) 6:34
13. MIC BREAK: Affinity.exe by Haken from Affinity (2016) 1:24
14. Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider by Camel from Mirage (1974) 9:18
15. The Devil’s Orchard by Opeth from Heritage (2011) 6:40
16. Muttersprache by Gordian Knot from Emergent (2003) 6:27
17. Cygnus X-1 by Rush from A Farewell to Kings (1977) 10:22
18. FAREWELL MIC BREAK: Wandering on the Milky Way by Jean-Luc Ponty from Imaginary Voyage (1976) 1:50
19. Starship Trooper: A. Life Seeker, B. Disillusion, C. Würm (Remix) by Yes from The Yes Album (The Steven Wilson Remixes) (1971/2018)
20. Worry Wort by Radiohead, B Side from Knives Out single. (2001) (Partial Song….aprox 1:00 transition into Puzzling Evidence.)
Conflux Cornucopia Cerebellum Cocktail Hour Episode #033: Spirit of Radio (Fundraiser Special)
Hello Fellow Alchemy Adepts. This week’s show is all about our wonderful station and our shows. Promotion of our fundraiser on Sunday 3/27 at the Make Out Room, and celebration of the medium of radio with a bunch of songs about ….well…the radio. Thanks to Skeevy, Bolt Reynolds (Skeevy Side Show) and DJ Ruffin (LP Lounge) for hanging out and contributing some banter to the show…..I can’t banter with myself without someone wanting to take me a way. Enjoy.
1. Spirit of Radio-Rush
2. MIC BREAK: Marine Radio-Brian Eno & Jah Wobble (Talking about our Sunday Lineup)
3. Radio Radio-Elvis Costello
4. On My Radio-The Selector
5. Modern Industry?-Fishbone
6. KOME-Dennis Erectus
7. MIC BREAK: Radio 7-David Holmes (Talking about our Monday Lineup)
8. Lay Your Hands on Your Radio-Wolfman Jack
9. Mexican Radio-Wall of Voodoo
10. The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)-The Doors
11. God is in the Radio-Queens of the Age
12. That’s Why God Made the Radio-The Beach Boys
13. MIC BREAK (Talking Tuesday Shows and the Full line up for our Fundraiser)
14. The End of Radio-Shellac
15. Do You Remember Rock n Roll Radio-The Ramones
16. Blanche Complains John Doesn’t Love Her-The Bickersons
17. MIC BREAK: It’s all about Wednesdays
18. Stone Trek Introduction-Greg Stone
19. Blood on the Radio-Thank You Scientist
20. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter-Nirvana
21. Radio/Video-System of a Down
22. MIC BREAK: Hello Thursday!
24. Radio Lover-Cheap Trick
25. Dr. Demento Rules
26. MIC BREAK: TGIF
27. Video Killed the Radio Star-The Buggles
28. MIC BREAK: It’s Saturday and Farewll…Show up Sunday Thank you.
29. Radio Ga Ga-Queen
Hello fellow Alchemites and Confluxians.
News: Contest: Tickets for Dr. Madd Vibe @ the Bottom of the Hill, SF on 1/29/22
I am giving away a pair of tickets, contact me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Or on Facebook find the Friends of the Alchemist Group.
I will randomly select a winner from those who want the tickets.
This week’s show is a collection of very heady tracks to put your mind in a deep reflective state. Put on the headphones and immerse yourself in the music.
1. Useful Idiot (0:39) by Tool from Aenima (1996)
2. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
3. Everything in its Right Place (4:11) by Radiohead from Kid A (2000)
4. Elk.Blood.Heart (5”52) by All Them Witches from Our Mother Electricity (2012)
5. MIC BREAK: Vein Melter (9;10) by Herbie Hancock from Head Hunters (1973)
6. MIC BREAK: Stonehenge (1:58) by Black Sabbath from Born Again (1983)
7. Little Fishes (6:06) by the Claypool Lennon Delirium from South of Reality (2019)
8. Long and Lonesome Road (3:10) by Jess and the Ancient Ones from Astral Sabbat
9. Spirals (11:19) by Monkey3 from Sphere (2019)
10. MIC BREAK: Prepare Yourself (1:59) by Porcupine Tree from The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
11. Start of Something Beautiful (7:40) by Porcupine Tree from Deadwing (2005)
12. Smoke Room (8:13) by Automatism from Immersion (2020)
13. MIC BREAK: Sphinx Gate (1:59) by Hiatus Kaiyote from Tawk Tomahawk (2013)
14. Pas a Pas (6:42) by Alco Frisbass from Alco Frisbass (2015)
15. Snickersnee (3:46) by the Oh Sees from Face Stabber (2019)
16. MIC BREAK: Spaced (2:24) by the Smashing Pumpkins from Pisces Iscariot (1994)
17. Hannah (5:26) by Robin Trower from Twice Removed from Yesterday (1973)
18. Feathers (6:41) by the Black Crowes from Lost Crowes (2006)
19. Suture Up Your Future (4:37) by Queens of the Stone Age (2007)
20. MIC BREAK: Chili at Airport (Part III) (1:32) by John Lurie from the Get Shorty Soundtrack (1995)
21. Hudson (10:57) by Jack DeJohnette, Larry Grenadier, John Medeski, John Scofield from Hudson (2017)
22. Arcadia Son (7:50) by I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindfuck) from Arcadia Son (2002)
23. FAREWELL MIC BREAK: Democratic Chorale (1:42) by Bent Knee from Shiny Eyed Babies (2014)
24. Help (6:01) by Deep Purple from Shades of Deep Purple (1968)
Hello fellow Alchemists and Confluxians. Happy New Year! Yes, each new year brings with it the promise of renewal that is only matched by spring training baseball in a warm climate, but that is subject for another day.
A couple announcements to get to before we get into the meat of this week’s shows. I have a new Facebook identity as The Alchemist. There is also a new group Friends of the Alchemist where I am posting the activities of this show and encouraging open discussion of what you, the listening audience, want more of out my weekly expose. So, please, don’t be shy, drop a dime if you’re old enough to remember what that means, or text me bro if not.
I also have an Instagram page @ riseofalchemist. I’m not a person who enjoys social media for it’s own sake, but I do recognize the need to be present on the medium when promoting a show and gathering listeners. So, if you do use that format, please follow me.
During the last week of the year, we did a couple of shows co-sponsoring Flipper @ Bottom of the Hill in SF. These shows were a very important in that they bolstered our relationship with Bottom of the Hill, and as a result will continue to co-sponsor shows at this classic SF concert venue.
On Friday, January 21st Hellbilly rockers, The Supersuckers will be performing with Scott H. Biram and HeWhoCannotBeNamed. DJ Ace from Ace’s Space (Saturdays from 4-6pm) and DJ Malderor from Malderor’s Curated Catastrophe (Sunday’s from 2-4pm) will be manning our table and representing Radio Valencia and selling our T-Shirts.
On Friday, January 28th The Blasters will be performing with opening acts Thee Merry Widows and Sid Presley. DJ’s Skeevy and Johnny from the Skeevy Side Show (Wednesday’s from 8-10pm) will be manning our table. I want thank the again for guest hosting my show last week while I was out. At some point in the near future, I will be repaying that by taking over the Skeevy Side Show and doing a four hour set of my own…..TBD…..but in the meantime, put this on your calendar for a busy weekend to hit up a couple shows, because the very next day….
On Saturday, January 29th, Dr. Madd Vibe & the Missing Links (Angelo Moore of Fishbone) with local guitar legend Eric McFadden and special guest Dizzy Twin will be running amok at Bottom of the Hill. I will be there along DJ Uncle Ray from Uncle Ray’s Psychedelic Soul (Monday’s from 2-4pm) will be repping Radio Valencia. Also, and any of these shows, John Hell, who has arranged all of these events with Bottom the Hill, and hosts two shows on Mondays (John Hell’s Bootleg Bonanza from 6-8pm and Hell’s Kitchen from 8-12pm) could pop up at any or all of these events. Thank you, John Hell, again for all that you do to keep this station going.
Now, back to this week’s show. I began thinking of the content for this week’s show I started reflecting on the nature of New Year’s Day and what I am thinking about as I begin my new year. I had the image of a Phoenix Rising from the Ashes. A chance to let die the old self and the previous year to be reborn as imagined and be refreshed by the New Year. This doesn’t literally happen, but in some ways our intents do forge a portion of ourselves that drives our action and permeates our attitude. For me, I decided that I am focusing on Love this year. Loving those close to me more deeply, loving myself as I so often don’t and being open and loving even to those who I cannot see eye to eye with. So that is what a great deal of this week’s show entails….and now…without further ado….the setlist.
1. Interlude (0:38) by Muse from Absolution (2003)
2. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
3. New Year’s Prayer (4:41) by Jeff Buckley from Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk (1998)
4. One Rainy Wish (3:44) by The Jimi Hendrix Experience from Axis: Bold as Love (1967)
5. MIC BREAK: Horizons (1:41) by Genesis from Foxtrot (1972)
6. Glory (3:19) by Jamie N. Commons from Glory (2016)
7. Underdog (3:58) by Sly and the Family Stone from A Whole New Thing (1970)
8. Found God in a Tomato (8:54) by the Psychedelic Porn Crumpets from High Visceral Pt. 1 (2016)
9. MIC BREAK: Tenor Credenza (1:46) by Chick Corea from Time Warp (1995)
10. Dream State (4:22) by the Broun Fellinis from Aphrokubist Improvisations Vol. 9 (1995)
11. Whatcha Gonna Bring (5:07) by The Motet from Death or Devotion (2018)
12. Revolutionary Love (7:10) by Ani DiFranco from Revolutionary Love (2021)
13. MIC BREAK: Yellow Theme (1:45) by Baroness from Yellow & Green (2012)
14. I Call It Love (5:17) by Concrete Blonde from Mexican Moon (1993)
15. This is What I Believe In (3:29) by Adrian Belew from Inner Revolution (1992)
16. Love Is For Me (3:55) by The Meters from Rejuvenation (1974)
17. MIC BREAK: The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony (1:41) by Phish from Lawn Boy (1989)
18. Everlasting Light (3:24) by the Black Keys from Brothers (2010)
19. Shine It All Around (4:03) by Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation from Might ReArranger (2005)
20. Perfect World (3:52) by Blackfield from Blackfield I (2005)
21. MIC BREAK: Contingent Part 1, The Campaign (1:42) by Pyramaze from Contingent (2017)
22. A Place in the Sun (6:11) by Blind Ego from Liquid (2016)
23. Rewind (7:07) by Leprous from The Congregation (2015)
24. Box in My Head (3:45) by Blue Oyster Cult from The Symbol Remains (2020)
25. MIC BREAK: Barbarossa (1:36) by Lamb of God from Resolution
26. It Matters (1:39) by fIREHOSE from Ragin, Full On (1986)
27. Optimistic (5:16) by Radiohead from Kid A (2000)
28. Higher Ground (5:57) by Stevie Wonder from Innervisions (1973)
29. One Love/People Get Ready (2:59) by Bob Marley & The Wailers from Exodus (1977)
30. Wish Them Well (5:25) by Rush from Clockwork Angels (2012)
31. CLOSING REMARKS: Hope (2:02) by Rush from Snakes and Arrows (2007)
32. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
33. New Year’s Day (5:35) by U2 from War (1983)