Hello fellow Alchemites and Confluxians.
News: Contest: Tickets for Dr. Madd Vibe @ the Bottom of the Hill, SF on 1/29/22
I am giving away a pair of tickets, contact me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Or on Facebook find the Friends of the Alchemist Group.
I will randomly select a winner from those who want the tickets.
This week’s show is a collection of very heady tracks to put your mind in a deep reflective state. Put on the headphones and immerse yourself in the music.
1. Useful Idiot (0:39) by Tool from Aenima (1996)
2. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
3. Everything in its Right Place (4:11) by Radiohead from Kid A (2000)
4. Elk.Blood.Heart (5”52) by All Them Witches from Our Mother Electricity (2012)
5. MIC BREAK: Vein Melter (9;10) by Herbie Hancock from Head Hunters (1973)
6. MIC BREAK: Stonehenge (1:58) by Black Sabbath from Born Again (1983)
7. Little Fishes (6:06) by the Claypool Lennon Delirium from South of Reality (2019)
8. Long and Lonesome Road (3:10) by Jess and the Ancient Ones from Astral Sabbat
9. Spirals (11:19) by Monkey3 from Sphere (2019)
10. MIC BREAK: Prepare Yourself (1:59) by Porcupine Tree from The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
11. Start of Something Beautiful (7:40) by Porcupine Tree from Deadwing (2005)
12. Smoke Room (8:13) by Automatism from Immersion (2020)
13. MIC BREAK: Sphinx Gate (1:59) by Hiatus Kaiyote from Tawk Tomahawk (2013)
14. Pas a Pas (6:42) by Alco Frisbass from Alco Frisbass (2015)
15. Snickersnee (3:46) by the Oh Sees from Face Stabber (2019)
16. MIC BREAK: Spaced (2:24) by the Smashing Pumpkins from Pisces Iscariot (1994)
17. Hannah (5:26) by Robin Trower from Twice Removed from Yesterday (1973)
18. Feathers (6:41) by the Black Crowes from Lost Crowes (2006)
19. Suture Up Your Future (4:37) by Queens of the Stone Age (2007)
20. MIC BREAK: Chili at Airport (Part III) (1:32) by John Lurie from the Get Shorty Soundtrack (1995)
21. Hudson (10:57) by Jack DeJohnette, Larry Grenadier, John Medeski, John Scofield from Hudson (2017)
22. Arcadia Son (7:50) by I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindfuck) from Arcadia Son (2002)
23. FAREWELL MIC BREAK: Democratic Chorale (1:42) by Bent Knee from Shiny Eyed Babies (2014)
24. Help (6:01) by Deep Purple from Shades of Deep Purple (1968)
Hello fellow Alchemists and Confluxians. Happy New Year! Yes, each new year brings with it the promise of renewal that is only matched by spring training baseball in a warm climate, but that is subject for another day.
A couple announcements to get to before we get into the meat of this week’s shows. I have a new Facebook identity as The Alchemist. There is also a new group Friends of the Alchemist where I am posting the activities of this show and encouraging open discussion of what you, the listening audience, want more of out my weekly expose. So, please, don’t be shy, drop a dime if you’re old enough to remember what that means, or text me bro if not.
I also have an Instagram page @ riseofalchemist. I’m not a person who enjoys social media for it’s own sake, but I do recognize the need to be present on the medium when promoting a show and gathering listeners. So, if you do use that format, please follow me.
During the last week of the year, we did a couple of shows co-sponsoring Flipper @ Bottom of the Hill in SF. These shows were a very important in that they bolstered our relationship with Bottom of the Hill, and as a result will continue to co-sponsor shows at this classic SF concert venue.
On Friday, January 21st Hellbilly rockers, The Supersuckers will be performing with Scott H. Biram and HeWhoCannotBeNamed. DJ Ace from Ace’s Space (Saturdays from 4-6pm) and DJ Malderor from Malderor’s Curated Catastrophe (Sunday’s from 2-4pm) will be manning our table and representing Radio Valencia and selling our T-Shirts.
On Friday, January 28th The Blasters will be performing with opening acts Thee Merry Widows and Sid Presley. DJ’s Skeevy and Johnny from the Skeevy Side Show (Wednesday’s from 8-10pm) will be manning our table. I want thank the again for guest hosting my show last week while I was out. At some point in the near future, I will be repaying that by taking over the Skeevy Side Show and doing a four hour set of my own…..TBD…..but in the meantime, put this on your calendar for a busy weekend to hit up a couple shows, because the very next day….
On Saturday, January 29th, Dr. Madd Vibe & the Missing Links (Angelo Moore of Fishbone) with local guitar legend Eric McFadden and special guest Dizzy Twin will be running amok at Bottom of the Hill. I will be there along DJ Uncle Ray from Uncle Ray’s Psychedelic Soul (Monday’s from 2-4pm) will be repping Radio Valencia. Also, and any of these shows, John Hell, who has arranged all of these events with Bottom the Hill, and hosts two shows on Mondays (John Hell’s Bootleg Bonanza from 6-8pm and Hell’s Kitchen from 8-12pm) could pop up at any or all of these events. Thank you, John Hell, again for all that you do to keep this station going.
Now, back to this week’s show. I began thinking of the content for this week’s show I started reflecting on the nature of New Year’s Day and what I am thinking about as I begin my new year. I had the image of a Phoenix Rising from the Ashes. A chance to let die the old self and the previous year to be reborn as imagined and be refreshed by the New Year. This doesn’t literally happen, but in some ways our intents do forge a portion of ourselves that drives our action and permeates our attitude. For me, I decided that I am focusing on Love this year. Loving those close to me more deeply, loving myself as I so often don’t and being open and loving even to those who I cannot see eye to eye with. So that is what a great deal of this week’s show entails….and now…without further ado….the setlist.
1. Interlude (0:38) by Muse from Absolution (2003)
2. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
3. New Year’s Prayer (4:41) by Jeff Buckley from Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk (1998)
4. One Rainy Wish (3:44) by The Jimi Hendrix Experience from Axis: Bold as Love (1967)
5. MIC BREAK: Horizons (1:41) by Genesis from Foxtrot (1972)
6. Glory (3:19) by Jamie N. Commons from Glory (2016)
7. Underdog (3:58) by Sly and the Family Stone from A Whole New Thing (1970)
8. Found God in a Tomato (8:54) by the Psychedelic Porn Crumpets from High Visceral Pt. 1 (2016)
9. MIC BREAK: Tenor Credenza (1:46) by Chick Corea from Time Warp (1995)
10. Dream State (4:22) by the Broun Fellinis from Aphrokubist Improvisations Vol. 9 (1995)
11. Whatcha Gonna Bring (5:07) by The Motet from Death or Devotion (2018)
12. Revolutionary Love (7:10) by Ani DiFranco from Revolutionary Love (2021)
13. MIC BREAK: Yellow Theme (1:45) by Baroness from Yellow & Green (2012)
14. I Call It Love (5:17) by Concrete Blonde from Mexican Moon (1993)
15. This is What I Believe In (3:29) by Adrian Belew from Inner Revolution (1992)
16. Love Is For Me (3:55) by The Meters from Rejuvenation (1974)
17. MIC BREAK: The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony (1:41) by Phish from Lawn Boy (1989)
18. Everlasting Light (3:24) by the Black Keys from Brothers (2010)
19. Shine It All Around (4:03) by Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation from Might ReArranger (2005)
20. Perfect World (3:52) by Blackfield from Blackfield I (2005)
21. MIC BREAK: Contingent Part 1, The Campaign (1:42) by Pyramaze from Contingent (2017)
22. A Place in the Sun (6:11) by Blind Ego from Liquid (2016)
23. Rewind (7:07) by Leprous from The Congregation (2015)
24. Box in My Head (3:45) by Blue Oyster Cult from The Symbol Remains (2020)
25. MIC BREAK: Barbarossa (1:36) by Lamb of God from Resolution
26. It Matters (1:39) by fIREHOSE from Ragin, Full On (1986)
27. Optimistic (5:16) by Radiohead from Kid A (2000)
28. Higher Ground (5:57) by Stevie Wonder from Innervisions (1973)
29. One Love/People Get Ready (2:59) by Bob Marley & The Wailers from Exodus (1977)
30. Wish Them Well (5:25) by Rush from Clockwork Angels (2012)
31. CLOSING REMARKS: Hope (2:02) by Rush from Snakes and Arrows (2007)
32. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
33. New Year’s Day (5:35) by U2 from War (1983)
Hello fellow Alchemists and Confluxians…..still playing catch up. Sorry for the late posting.
This week’s show is all about live music. Kombucha: Live Culture> Live Music. Enjoy these live experiences as let it nourish your soul.
1. INTRO MIC BREAK: Crowd Sculptures (2:21) by the Grateful Dead from Infrared Roses (1991) Rock
2. Natural Mystic (4:43) by Bob Marley from Sacred Sources I (2000) Reggae
3. Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt (A. Gust of Mutts/B. And Ghosted Pouts) (13:23) by the Mars Volta from Scab Dates (2005) Progressive Metal
4. FLIPPER PROMOTION (0:40)
5. MIC BREAK: Dues Culpa (1:34) by Ghost from Opus Eponymous (2010) Metal
6. Ghost of Karelia (5:24) by Mastodon from Live at the Aragon (2011) Metal
7. Murder of the Universe (5:04) by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard from Chunky Shrapnel (2020) Alternative Rock
8. Scentless Apprentice (3:31) by Nirvana From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah (1996) Grunge
9. MIC BREAKING BAD: What You Are Listening To (1:10) by Porcupine Tree from Up From the Downstair (1993) Progressive Rock
10. Anesthetize (17:20) by Porcupine Tree from Anesthetize (2015) Progressive Metal
11. MIC BREAK: Prelude to a Crawl (1:20) by Primus from Green Naugahyde (2011) Alternative Rock
12. Girls for Single Men (7:40) by Les Claypool and the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade from Live Frogs Set 1 (2001) Alternative Rock
13. Ohhhh Noooo (7:44) by The Aristocrats from Culture Clash Live! (2015) Jazz Fusion
14. MIC BREAK: Interlude (1:03) by Camper Van Beethoven from Key Lime Pie (1989) Indie Rock
15. Miles Runs Down the Voodoo (11:08) by Lettuce from Witches Stew (2017) Jazz Fusion
16. Lingus (7:53) by Snarky Puppy from Live in New Orleans 9/13/2015 (2015) Jazz Fusion
17. MIC BREAK: 800 (1:34) by Kyuss from Blue for the Red Sun (1992) Stoner Metal
18. God is Dead (8:57) by Black Sabbath from The End-Tour Edition (2016) Classic Metal
19. Heir Apparent (10:21) by Opeth from Garden of the Titans (Opeth Live at Red Rock Amphitheatre) (2018) Death Metal
20. CLOSING MIC BREAK: Wrapcity in English (0:58) by the James Gang from Yer’ Album (1969) Rock
21. Voivod (6:23) by Voivod from The Wake (Deluxe Edition) (2018) Progressive Thrash Metal