Hello fellow Alchemists and Confluxians: Welcome back. I hope you enjoyed last week’s four hour diversion back to the 80’s with Skeevy. There will be a part II. This week, I am looking into my laboratory of oddities for some deep cuts and rarities for you to enjoy. I hope you enjoy this tantalizing mix of warm weirdness.
1. Opening Alchemy Jive (0:58) Featuring Rush Hour & Toy Story clips.
2. No Return (1:33) by Craig Wedren & Anna Waronker from the Yellowjackets TV show (opening theme) (2022) Punk
3. MIC BREAK: Lilah (1:00) by Morphine from Like Swimming (1997) Alternative Rock
4. Running Low (6:30) by Leprous from Aphelion (2021) Progressive Metal
5. Gilding the Lily (3:13) by Rocket Moth from Mesolow (2016) Rock
6. Intro/The Rules of the Game (3:59) by Dizzy Twin from Empire (2018) Alternative Rock
7. MIC BREAK: Caterpillar March (1:56) by Kyuss from Blues for the Red Sun (1992) Stoner Metal
8. Nate Poe Crasto (Dub) (8:37) by Angelo Moore from Dr. Madd Vibe’s Comprehensive Linkology (2001) Alternative Rock
9. Rubankh (3:25) by Anekdoten from Nucleus (1995) Progressive Metal
10. MIC BREAK: Sleep (1:58) by the Dixie Dregs from Free Fall (1977) Jazz Fusion
11. The Scythe Pendulum Swing (7:33) by Dizzy Mystics from Wanderlost (2019) Progressive Rock
12. Formicary (5:47) by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum from In Glorious Times (2007) Art Metal
13. Event Horizon (6:11) by Voivod from The Wake (2018) Progressive Thrash Metal
14. MIC BREAK: The Dog Breath Variations (1:49) by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (1969) Art Rock
15. Are You Receiving Me? (9:32) by Golden Earring from Moontan (1973) Rock
16. Second Birth (10:59) by Samsara Blues Experiment from End of Forever (2021) Psychedelic Rock
17. MIC BREAK: Glenn’s Wheels (1:47) by Bear McCreary from the Walking Dead Soundtrack (2017) Soundtrack
18. Black Mass (4:40) by En Minor from When the Cold Truth Has Worn Its Miserable Welcome Out (2020) Alternative Rock
19. Seven Ways Till Sunday (4:46) by T.R.A.M. from Lingua Franca (2012) Jazz Fusion
20. Easily Led (5:08) by We Came From Space from While You Were Away (2018) Progressive Rock
21. MIC BREAK: Miles Davis Funeral (1:41) by Morphine from Cure for Pain (1993) Alternative Rock
22. Dog Eat Dog World (3:58) by Ten from Ten (2013) Alternative Rock
23. Embers (10:47) by Elder from Omens (2020) Stoner Metal
24. Kalopsia (4:38) by Queens of the Stone Age from …Like Clockwork (2013) Alternative Rock
25. BREAKING ALCHEMY: (0:12)
26. MIC BREAK: Last May (1:40) by Allan Holdsworth from Velvet Darkness (1976) Jazz Fusion
27. Little Wing (5:56) by Oz Noy from Who Gives a Funk (2015) Jazz Fusion (Jimi Hendrix Cover)
Hello fellow Alchemists and Confluxians. Happy New Year! Yes, each new year brings with it the promise of renewal that is only matched by spring training baseball in a warm climate, but that is subject for another day.
A couple announcements to get to before we get into the meat of this week’s shows. I have a new Facebook identity as The Alchemist. There is also a new group Friends of the Alchemist where I am posting the activities of this show and encouraging open discussion of what you, the listening audience, want more of out my weekly expose. So, please, don’t be shy, drop a dime if you’re old enough to remember what that means, or text me bro if not.
I also have an Instagram page @ riseofalchemist. I’m not a person who enjoys social media for it’s own sake, but I do recognize the need to be present on the medium when promoting a show and gathering listeners. So, if you do use that format, please follow me.
During the last week of the year, we did a couple of shows co-sponsoring Flipper @ Bottom of the Hill in SF. These shows were a very important in that they bolstered our relationship with Bottom of the Hill, and as a result will continue to co-sponsor shows at this classic SF concert venue.
On Friday, January 21st Hellbilly rockers, The Supersuckers will be performing with Scott H. Biram and HeWhoCannotBeNamed. DJ Ace from Ace’s Space (Saturdays from 4-6pm) and DJ Malderor from Malderor’s Curated Catastrophe (Sunday’s from 2-4pm) will be manning our table and representing Radio Valencia and selling our T-Shirts.
On Friday, January 28th The Blasters will be performing with opening acts Thee Merry Widows and Sid Presley. DJ’s Skeevy and Johnny from the Skeevy Side Show (Wednesday’s from 8-10pm) will be manning our table. I want thank the again for guest hosting my show last week while I was out. At some point in the near future, I will be repaying that by taking over the Skeevy Side Show and doing a four hour set of my own…..TBD…..but in the meantime, put this on your calendar for a busy weekend to hit up a couple shows, because the very next day….
On Saturday, January 29th, Dr. Madd Vibe & the Missing Links (Angelo Moore of Fishbone) with local guitar legend Eric McFadden and special guest Dizzy Twin will be running amok at Bottom of the Hill. I will be there along DJ Uncle Ray from Uncle Ray’s Psychedelic Soul (Monday’s from 2-4pm) will be repping Radio Valencia. Also, and any of these shows, John Hell, who has arranged all of these events with Bottom the Hill, and hosts two shows on Mondays (John Hell’s Bootleg Bonanza from 6-8pm and Hell’s Kitchen from 8-12pm) could pop up at any or all of these events. Thank you, John Hell, again for all that you do to keep this station going.
Now, back to this week’s show. I began thinking of the content for this week’s show I started reflecting on the nature of New Year’s Day and what I am thinking about as I begin my new year. I had the image of a Phoenix Rising from the Ashes. A chance to let die the old self and the previous year to be reborn as imagined and be refreshed by the New Year. This doesn’t literally happen, but in some ways our intents do forge a portion of ourselves that drives our action and permeates our attitude. For me, I decided that I am focusing on Love this year. Loving those close to me more deeply, loving myself as I so often don’t and being open and loving even to those who I cannot see eye to eye with. So that is what a great deal of this week’s show entails….and now…without further ado….the setlist.
1. Interlude (0:38) by Muse from Absolution (2003)
2. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
3. New Year’s Prayer (4:41) by Jeff Buckley from Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk (1998)
4. One Rainy Wish (3:44) by The Jimi Hendrix Experience from Axis: Bold as Love (1967)
5. MIC BREAK: Horizons (1:41) by Genesis from Foxtrot (1972)
6. Glory (3:19) by Jamie N. Commons from Glory (2016)
7. Underdog (3:58) by Sly and the Family Stone from A Whole New Thing (1970)
8. Found God in a Tomato (8:54) by the Psychedelic Porn Crumpets from High Visceral Pt. 1 (2016)
9. MIC BREAK: Tenor Credenza (1:46) by Chick Corea from Time Warp (1995)
10. Dream State (4:22) by the Broun Fellinis from Aphrokubist Improvisations Vol. 9 (1995)
11. Whatcha Gonna Bring (5:07) by The Motet from Death or Devotion (2018)
12. Revolutionary Love (7:10) by Ani DiFranco from Revolutionary Love (2021)
13. MIC BREAK: Yellow Theme (1:45) by Baroness from Yellow & Green (2012)
14. I Call It Love (5:17) by Concrete Blonde from Mexican Moon (1993)
15. This is What I Believe In (3:29) by Adrian Belew from Inner Revolution (1992)
16. Love Is For Me (3:55) by The Meters from Rejuvenation (1974)
17. MIC BREAK: The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony (1:41) by Phish from Lawn Boy (1989)
18. Everlasting Light (3:24) by the Black Keys from Brothers (2010)
19. Shine It All Around (4:03) by Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation from Might ReArranger (2005)
20. Perfect World (3:52) by Blackfield from Blackfield I (2005)
21. MIC BREAK: Contingent Part 1, The Campaign (1:42) by Pyramaze from Contingent (2017)
22. A Place in the Sun (6:11) by Blind Ego from Liquid (2016)
23. Rewind (7:07) by Leprous from The Congregation (2015)
24. Box in My Head (3:45) by Blue Oyster Cult from The Symbol Remains (2020)
25. MIC BREAK: Barbarossa (1:36) by Lamb of God from Resolution
26. It Matters (1:39) by fIREHOSE from Ragin, Full On (1986)
27. Optimistic (5:16) by Radiohead from Kid A (2000)
28. Higher Ground (5:57) by Stevie Wonder from Innervisions (1973)
29. One Love/People Get Ready (2:59) by Bob Marley & The Wailers from Exodus (1977)
30. Wish Them Well (5:25) by Rush from Clockwork Angels (2012)
31. CLOSING REMARKS: Hope (2:02) by Rush from Snakes and Arrows (2007)
32. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
33. New Year’s Day (5:35) by U2 from War (1983)