Baseball is near and dear to my heart. It is the true signal that spring has sprung to me. Not that flowers blooming and warmer weather bringing out the more colorful of us into light isn’t worth celebrating as well. This show is dedicated to spring and the romance of baseball. Thank you to Johhny “Bouldt” Reynolds and DJ Ruff for joining me in this expression of our national pastime and the warmth of spring. Hope springs eternal.
1. Mr. Blue Sky-Electric Light Orchestra
2. It’s Hard Not to be Romantic About Baseball-Montage
3. MIC BREAK: A Change is Gonna Come-Oz Noy
4. Who’s on First?-Abbott and Costello
5. Rocky Mountain Way-Joe Walsh
6. Call Me the Breeze-J.J. Cale
7. Just Kissed My Baby-The Meters
8. Lollygaggers-Bull Durham
9. Short Skirt/Long Jacket-Cake
10. You’re from the 60’s-Field of Dreams
11. I Live in the Springtime-The Lemon Drops
12. Nothing But Flowers-Talking Heads
13. MIC BREAK: East St. Louis Toodaloo-Steely Dan
14. Try a Little Tenderness-Otis Redding
15. Scarlet Begonias-Sublime
16. Announce My Presence with Authority-Bull Durham
17. Analog Kid-Rush
18. Pitching against Time-Vin Scully For Love of the Game
19. The Boys are back in Town-Thin Lizzy
20. Whatever’s Left-For Love of the Game
21. Spring MCMLXXIV (1974)-Opeth
22. People Will Come, Ray-Field of Dreams
23. MIC BREAK: Days of Wine and Roses-Pat Martino
24. I Want Parkman-Major League II
25. Wild Thing-Band of Gypsys
27. Ty Cobb-Soundgarden
28. And the Flowers They’ll Bloom-The Mermen (with various film sound from several Baseball Movies)
29. Centerfield-John Fogerty
Hello fellow Alchemists and Confluxians. Happy New Year! Yes, each new year brings with it the promise of renewal that is only matched by spring training baseball in a warm climate, but that is subject for another day.
A couple announcements to get to before we get into the meat of this week’s shows. I have a new Facebook identity as The Alchemist. There is also a new group Friends of the Alchemist where I am posting the activities of this show and encouraging open discussion of what you, the listening audience, want more of out my weekly expose. So, please, don’t be shy, drop a dime if you’re old enough to remember what that means, or text me bro if not.
I also have an Instagram page @ riseofalchemist. I’m not a person who enjoys social media for it’s own sake, but I do recognize the need to be present on the medium when promoting a show and gathering listeners. So, if you do use that format, please follow me.
During the last week of the year, we did a couple of shows co-sponsoring Flipper @ Bottom of the Hill in SF. These shows were a very important in that they bolstered our relationship with Bottom of the Hill, and as a result will continue to co-sponsor shows at this classic SF concert venue.
On Friday, January 21st Hellbilly rockers, The Supersuckers will be performing with Scott H. Biram and HeWhoCannotBeNamed. DJ Ace from Ace’s Space (Saturdays from 4-6pm) and DJ Malderor from Malderor’s Curated Catastrophe (Sunday’s from 2-4pm) will be manning our table and representing Radio Valencia and selling our T-Shirts.
On Friday, January 28th The Blasters will be performing with opening acts Thee Merry Widows and Sid Presley. DJ’s Skeevy and Johnny from the Skeevy Side Show (Wednesday’s from 8-10pm) will be manning our table. I want thank the again for guest hosting my show last week while I was out. At some point in the near future, I will be repaying that by taking over the Skeevy Side Show and doing a four hour set of my own…..TBD…..but in the meantime, put this on your calendar for a busy weekend to hit up a couple shows, because the very next day….
On Saturday, January 29th, Dr. Madd Vibe & the Missing Links (Angelo Moore of Fishbone) with local guitar legend Eric McFadden and special guest Dizzy Twin will be running amok at Bottom of the Hill. I will be there along DJ Uncle Ray from Uncle Ray’s Psychedelic Soul (Monday’s from 2-4pm) will be repping Radio Valencia. Also, and any of these shows, John Hell, who has arranged all of these events with Bottom the Hill, and hosts two shows on Mondays (John Hell’s Bootleg Bonanza from 6-8pm and Hell’s Kitchen from 8-12pm) could pop up at any or all of these events. Thank you, John Hell, again for all that you do to keep this station going.
Now, back to this week’s show. I began thinking of the content for this week’s show I started reflecting on the nature of New Year’s Day and what I am thinking about as I begin my new year. I had the image of a Phoenix Rising from the Ashes. A chance to let die the old self and the previous year to be reborn as imagined and be refreshed by the New Year. This doesn’t literally happen, but in some ways our intents do forge a portion of ourselves that drives our action and permeates our attitude. For me, I decided that I am focusing on Love this year. Loving those close to me more deeply, loving myself as I so often don’t and being open and loving even to those who I cannot see eye to eye with. So that is what a great deal of this week’s show entails….and now…without further ado….the setlist.
1. Interlude (0:38) by Muse from Absolution (2003)
2. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
3. New Year’s Prayer (4:41) by Jeff Buckley from Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk (1998)
4. One Rainy Wish (3:44) by The Jimi Hendrix Experience from Axis: Bold as Love (1967)
5. MIC BREAK: Horizons (1:41) by Genesis from Foxtrot (1972)
6. Glory (3:19) by Jamie N. Commons from Glory (2016)
7. Underdog (3:58) by Sly and the Family Stone from A Whole New Thing (1970)
8. Found God in a Tomato (8:54) by the Psychedelic Porn Crumpets from High Visceral Pt. 1 (2016)
9. MIC BREAK: Tenor Credenza (1:46) by Chick Corea from Time Warp (1995)
10. Dream State (4:22) by the Broun Fellinis from Aphrokubist Improvisations Vol. 9 (1995)
11. Whatcha Gonna Bring (5:07) by The Motet from Death or Devotion (2018)
12. Revolutionary Love (7:10) by Ani DiFranco from Revolutionary Love (2021)
13. MIC BREAK: Yellow Theme (1:45) by Baroness from Yellow & Green (2012)
14. I Call It Love (5:17) by Concrete Blonde from Mexican Moon (1993)
15. This is What I Believe In (3:29) by Adrian Belew from Inner Revolution (1992)
16. Love Is For Me (3:55) by The Meters from Rejuvenation (1974)
17. MIC BREAK: The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony (1:41) by Phish from Lawn Boy (1989)
18. Everlasting Light (3:24) by the Black Keys from Brothers (2010)
19. Shine It All Around (4:03) by Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation from Might ReArranger (2005)
20. Perfect World (3:52) by Blackfield from Blackfield I (2005)
21. MIC BREAK: Contingent Part 1, The Campaign (1:42) by Pyramaze from Contingent (2017)
22. A Place in the Sun (6:11) by Blind Ego from Liquid (2016)
23. Rewind (7:07) by Leprous from The Congregation (2015)
24. Box in My Head (3:45) by Blue Oyster Cult from The Symbol Remains (2020)
25. MIC BREAK: Barbarossa (1:36) by Lamb of God from Resolution
26. It Matters (1:39) by fIREHOSE from Ragin, Full On (1986)
27. Optimistic (5:16) by Radiohead from Kid A (2000)
28. Higher Ground (5:57) by Stevie Wonder from Innervisions (1973)
29. One Love/People Get Ready (2:59) by Bob Marley & The Wailers from Exodus (1977)
30. Wish Them Well (5:25) by Rush from Clockwork Angels (2012)
31. CLOSING REMARKS: Hope (2:02) by Rush from Snakes and Arrows (2007)
32. Breaking Alchemy (0:12)
33. New Year’s Day (5:35) by U2 from War (1983)